The new graduate certificate program in Process Safety Engineering will provide the skills required for engineers to understand and implement these safety techniques in process and energy related industries.
Safety is a critical element of all process industry activities from site selection to decommissioning. Both design and operational safety play a critical and increasingly important role as the industry moves to more challenging environments and increasingly technologically complex. In today’s world, industrial safety incidents account for numerous injuries and fatalities. The international Labor Organization (ILO) and World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that roughly 4% of the annual global Gross Domestic Product (GDP), or $1.25 trillion, is lost to direct and indirect costs such as lost working time, workers compensation, the interruption of production and medical expenses. In the last 15 years there have been many changes in the field of safety, including an emphasis on process safety and the associated areas of risk assessment and hazard analysis.
Why University of Houston?
- Located in the heart of the energy capital of the world
- Continuing cooperation and history with leading oil and gas companies and professional networks
- Oil and gas industry and academic experts will be developing curriculum and instructing the courses
- Proximity of local events and active professional societies and organizations
Who Should Take This Certificate?
- Broad range of practicing engineers in the manufacturing, process, oil and gas, downstream, and refinery industries
- Any BS degree holder in a relevant engineering field interested in enhancing safety and environmental skills
- BS degree in engineering or technology
- Applicants with at least a bachelor degree in a related science field with relevant interest or experience in safety
- A four-year bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field is required.
- The GRE exam is waived for Process Safety Engineering Certificate applicants.
- Applicants for admission to the Certificate program must meet the same admissions standards and requirements as other applicants for graduate study.
- Students already pursuing an MS or PhD degree at the University of Houston will be enrolled in the Certificate program simply upon request.
- An online application
- Application Fee ($25.00 for domestic applicants/$75 for international applicants)
- 1 official transcript should be mailed to one of the following addresses below:
Regular Mail: Express Mail: University of Houston
P.O. Box 3947
Houston, TX 77253-3947
University of Houston
4302 University Drive, Room 102
Houston, TX 77204-2012
- For further information on how to apply, please review the following website: How to Apply
- Additional documentation for international applicants, including English language proficiency requirements, are found at: International Applicants
In order to meet the graduation requirements for this certificate, students must earn at least a 3.00/4/00 overall GPA
The program will require students to take the following three courses (9 SCH) or equivalent related approved courses
CHEE 6379: (Process) Safety and Reliability
- Develop an understanding of what process safety is and how it is different than personal safety
- Hazard analysis methods, basic risk assessment
- An introduction to process safety management and safety management systems
- Introduction to emergency relief systems, as well as emergency response
- The role engineers play in process safety systems
INDE 6321: Systems Safety Engineering
- General concepts of safety in design, including layers of protection, optimally safe design, and best possible technology
- Behavioral based safety programs and the impact of human factors on safety in design
- What role do government and industry organizations/agencies play in development of design criteria and assessment?
INDE 6337: Human Factors System Design
- Methods of measurement of human performance, psychological and physiological background of human information processing
- Principles and techniques of display and information system design, and human error and reliability
- Ergonomic impact in process plant operations and practical solutions
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Phaneendra Kondapi
Interim Assistant Dean of Engineering Programs at UH at Katy
pbkondapi [at] uh [dot] edu